Wednesday 4 April 2012

A normal day at work...

As already mentioned, my work consists of watching birds, bats, looking for fish et cetera. Last monday 2 april, my task was to look for protected birds, mainly birds of prey, on a military area! After a long hassle at the entrance (you have to announce you are coming), checking the address, checking the passport and that kind of stuff, we finally could enter the military area. My collegue isn't that much of an expert in bird(sounds), so he came along to learn something from me. He had troubles to hear the sound I mentioned between the other sounds. But the Willow Warbler (sounds like a Chaffinch where the battery has run out) sticked into his mind :).
I heard quite some Bramblings (Fringilla montifringilla), which was not that common in this winter. In one place, we heard about 30 Bramblings singing. At least, thats what I know now. I didn't knew the song of Brambling so far. It is a Greenfinch-like, piercing 'wêêêh'. As the recording isn't that good (only recorder, no shotgun-mic), I only put it on waarneming.nl and not on Xeno-canto.org:


In another part of the military area, two Northern Ravens (Corvus corax) were present. One individual (presumably the male) was calling from a tree, not really taking notice of us. Sharpening his bill, hopping from branch to branch (and thereby breaking the branches) and now and then calling. A second individual (the female) was more nervous and flew rounds. As I almost stood under the tree where the male was calling, I had to made a recording. It was my best sighting of a Raven ever and I was quite happy with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment